First, make sure wireless networking is turned on in your laptop computer. Many new Windows XP and Vista laptops have a button that has to be pressed to enable the built-in wireless. If you are using a USB or PC Card Wireless Adapter, make sure it is properly installed.
Go to the Zoom ADSL X6's setup page by opening your web browser (we recommend you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.X or above and that you turn off any popup blocker you may be using.) On the address line, type http://10.0.0.2 and press Enter. A window will open asking you for a User Name and Password. The default User Name is admin and the Password is zoomadsl. These must be typed in lowercase.
When the Basic Setup page appears, click on the Wireless button located at the top of the screen. This will take you to the Wireless Setup page.
- Make sure that the Wireless Status is set to Enabled.
- Enter a new SSID. The SSID is the unique identifier for your network. After you enter a new SSID, please be sure to write it down.
- The Hide SSID option should be set to false at this time. (Note: If you set Hide SSID to "true," your laptop will not see the X6's SSID when it goes to scan for wireless networks.)
- The Default Channel is set to 10. You only need to change this channel if you are experiencing slow transmissions or when your laptop does a site scan and sees several networks on the same channel.
Encryption is where you set up security for your wireless network. Below we describe how to enable WEP 64-bit encryption so that your network will be protected. For more information on encryption, please refer to FAQ 913 . If you do not want to set up any encryption, skip to Step 6.
a.) From the Encryption drop-down menu, select WEP 64-bit.
b.) In the line labeled Key 1, enter five pairs of characters separated by dashes. For example, 01-23-45-67-89. Each character must be a number between 0 and 9 or a letter between A and F. Please take note of what characters you enter on this line, as you will need to enter this key when you configure the laptop (more instructions to follow).
c.) Click Save Changes and then Write Settings to Flash. You must click both of these buttons to save your settings.
- Now go to your laptop. Click on the Wireless Network indicator in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Click on the Refresh Network list .
- Select the Network that has the same SSID as the one you entered in Step 2.
- A window will open. You need to enter the key that you created in Step 5-b but without the dashes. For example, if you entered 01-23-45-67-89 in the Key 1 field on the X6, you must enter 0123456789 on your laptop. You will need to enter it twice.
- Congratulations! Your wireless network should now be operational with WEP Security enabled.